Serves: 8 (1 9-inch pie)
No Thanksgiving would be complete without the goodness of a pumpkin pie. Have a happy and healthy baking this upcoming holiday season!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 15-ounce homemade pumpkin puree*
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger in a bowl until combined. Add in milk and pumpkin, stir until mixture is smooth consistency.
- Pour into a 9-inch glass pie pan. Top with pecans.
- Bake for 15 minutes then lower oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue to bake for another 30 to 40 minutes. Pie should be firm set. Cool for at least 1 hour before cutting.
*Homemade Pumpkin puree
Yield amount is determined by the size of the pumpkin used.
- 1 medium to large sugar pumpkin
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Halve the pumpkin from the stem to base using a sharp knife. Take out and discard seeds and pulp. Cover each pumpkin half with aluminum foil.
- Place on baking sheet, foil side up. Bake in the heated oven for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove pumpkin meat from the shells. Place in a blender. Puree. Place in a strainer to remove any stringy pieces. Can be stored in the freezer in freezer safe bags until ready to use.
Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-Crustless-Pumpkin-Pie/Detail.aspx