Yield: About 6 dozen cookies
These cookies look like Christmas decorations with the green pistachio layer and red candied cherry layer. They also taste delicious. If you have a pistachio lover in the family, they will really appreciate these decadent cookies. These cookies store well after being cooked, and freeze well, too - either prepared or in dough form.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- Green food coloring paste
- 1/3 cup red candied cherries, finely chopped
- Red food coloring paste
- Line a 9x5 inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, tearing enough wrap to allow it to extend over the edges of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer set on medium speed to cream together the butter and sugar. Scrape the side of the bowl several times. The mixture should be light and fluffy, taking approximately 4 minutes.
- To the sugar mixture, add the egg and almond extract, mixing until well blended.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Gradually add in the flour mixture just until blended.
- In a medium bowl, add 1 rounded cup of the completed plain dough. Add the chopped pistachios and green food coloring, mixing well to combine.
- In a second medium bowl, add 1 rounded cup of plain dough. Into this dough, add in the cherries and red food coloring, mixing well to combine.
- In the bottom of the loaf pan, pat the pistachio dough into a layer. Place the pan into the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove from freezer.
- Create a plain dough layer on top of the pistachio layer. Freeze for 10 minutes. Remove from freezer.
- Add a layer of cherry dough on top. Cover pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until the dough is firm and easy to slice, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the dough from the loaf pan and discard the plastic wrap.
- Starting at one end of the dough, cut slices 1/4 inch thick, just as you would a cake. Then, cut each slice into 3 cookies, using the layer line as a guide.
- On a large, ungreased baking sheet, place the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies about 10 minutes. The cookie centers should be firm and the edges should be golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully move the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Adapted from: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/spumoni-icebox-cookies-2526