The astronaut necklace is a staple among jewelry lovers. Anyone who has been in love knows that gifts don’t need to be expensive to be special, and what’s more special than a token of love and affection? Whereas some people may think that an astronaut necklace is too cliché, we’re going to show you how special it can be. Keep reading to know everything there is to know about the astronaut necklace and these 5 ideas for your own!
An astronaut necklace is an adornment that features a miniature metal model of a spaceship. While modern iterations of the piece are often made of pendants, the original astronaut necklaces were made with actual metal models of spaceships. While they’ve become more common in recent years, astronaut necklaces were actually created in the 1950s. The original necklace was made by a man named Sigmund Klein as a gift for his wife. It featured a tiny model of the X-15 rocket plane, which was the first manned spaceplane. The design became so iconic that it helped Klein finance his entrepreneurial career with pendant-based jewelry. These are still being sold in jewelry stores today.
When you’re picking out the perfect astronaut necklace for your special someone, there are a few things to keep in mind. After all, you don’t want to pick out something that isn’t going to fit their personality and interests. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to make sure your gift is perfect! One of the first things you’ll want to do is decide on the type of spaceship you want your astronaut necklace to feature. While the X-15 is iconic, there are many different spaceship models out there. Vintage models are also a great choice if you want your gift to be a little more retro. Just make sure that you don’t accidentally pick out a model of a Soviet spaceship, as the design is very similar to American rockets.
If you’ve decided that you want to buy an astronaut necklace for your special someone, then it’s time to think about what kind of spaceship you want to feature. Here are five ideas for your own astronaut necklace!
- X-15 - The X-15 is the original rocket plane that inspired the astronaut necklace. It was the first manned spaceplane and was used by the Air Force for experimental rocket flights in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Mercury - The Mercury spacecraft was the first American-made spacecraft. It was used to put the first American astronauts in orbit in 1962.
- Apollo - The Apollo spacecraft was used to send the first humans to the Moon. It was used between 1967 and 1972.
- Gemini - The Gemini spacecraft was an American two-person crewed space program that was used as a precursor to the Apollo missions.
- Shuttle - The Space Shuttle was an orbital spacecraft used to send American astronauts to space between 1981 and 2011. It was the first reusable orbital spacecraft.
Now, finding the right size astronaut necklace is important. You don’t want to pick out a gift that’s too small or too big! Luckily, there are a few ways to make sure you find the perfect fit for your special someone.
- Ask about her necklace size - This might seem like an obvious thing to do, but it’s often overlooked. Just ask her what her necklace size is, and you’ll be good to go!
- Try on the pieces in store - Some jewelry stores allow you to try on the pieces they have in stock. If you can do this, it’s a great way to make sure you get the perfect fit.
- Read reviews online - A lot of people leave reviews for the pieces they’ve bought on sites like Amazon. If you have no idea what size to get, reading reviews is a great way to find out what to look for.
If you’re looking for something a little different, there are a few alternatives you can try.
- A Space Shuttle Patch - Space patches are cool, unique, and make for a great gift. You can get patches for specific missions or for specific astronauts, including legends like Neil Armstrong.
- A Meteorite Necklace - Meteorites are pieces of space rock that have fallen to Earth. They’re a little more expensive than the average gift, but they’re definitely special. They’re super rare and will last forever, making them a gift that can be passed down through generations.
- A Gift Card - If you’re feeling unimaginative or don’t know what to get, a gift card can work just as well. Whether it’s a card to her favorite store or a card to her favorite streaming service, a gift card is a great way to show someone you care.
Now that you know a little bit about the history of the astronaut necklace and how to choose the perfect one, you’re ready to start shopping for the perfect astronaut necklace for your special someone. Just remember to make sure the piece is clean and not broken, because you don’t want to give someone a gift that’s unsafe to wear. Ready to go shopping? Pick up one of these five ideas for your own astronaut necklace, and you’ll be set for Valentine’s Day!